Sunday, August 14, 2011

So, Why Germany?

I am beyond excited about studying abroad for 17 days in December!  This will be my first time outside of the United States, and I have no idea what to expect.  So, you’re probably wondering, why did I choose Germany for my first abroad experience? 

 I first became interested in Germany when I was very young, probably seven or eight years old.  I remember sitting at the dinner table with my family and hearing my half-sister, Erica, talk about the many times that she’d spent in Germany.  Her mother lived there, and Erica had traveled to visit her.  After hearing several stories, I remember going to my bedroom to retrieve a notebook, and asking my half-sister to give me some basic German phrases to learn.  Unfortunately, my knowledge of the German language ends there, but I’m looking forward to taking a German language class in the fall.

Gate to Concentration Camp in Auschwitz
My interest in Germany peaked again in middle school when I first started learning about the World Wars.  This intrigue continued through high school, where I actually did an independent study focusing on the Holocaust.  Looking back, I’ve come to realize that, throughout my life, my conceptions of Germany have been stuck in the 1940’s.  I feel that far too many Americans share this same negative perception of Germany, but it is now clear to me that this is unfair.  If a country is judged only by its past history, so much of the beauty and value of the world and various cultures would be overlooked.  I chose to travel to Germany because I want to learn what the Germany of today is like and to embrace the culture that the country has to offer.

Through studying abroad in Germany, I expect to learn how to be more open-minded.  My exposure to other cultures has been minimal, especially spending my high school years in a small town where I graduated with a class of 99 students.  When you spend most of your time with people just like you, it’s easy to miss out on the uniqueness of different cultures.  I expect to experience what it’s like to talk to people from a completely different background than my own, and to hear how they talk about their own culture as well as their perceptions about American culture.  I hope to learn how others perceive Americans, and expect to be motivated to change some aspects of myself and my personal beliefs as a result of this experience.

  Bertolt Brecht
As a theater performance major and broadcast communications minor, it is important for me to travel abroad, and Germany is a great place to start.  As an actor, being familiar with German culture and language gives me a wider performance range.  In the past when I’ve played characters from other cultures, my research has come straight from books and photos.  I have no idea what it’s like to live life in another country, and I’m excited to scrape the surface of what this could mean.  Also, Germany offers its own unique form of theatre and its history includes some important theorists.  One of which I’ve done research on in the past is Bertolt Brecht and his theory: "verfremdungseffekt,” or the “alienation effect.”  I find it exciting to learn about the country that was home to Brecht and the types of performance that are still prevalent throughout Germany.

I can’t wait to go to Germany!  I know that this experience will impact me in more ways than I could possibly know, and I think that’s what I’m most excited about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment